KILDAYIN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Wexford, on the road to Bridgetown; containing 513 inhabitants, and comprising 2245 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It includes part of the mountain of Forth; the land is chiefly under tillage, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. Good building stone is found in several places. At Mourntown Cross is a manufactory for coarse woollen cloth, and blankets and flannel are also made here, chiefly for the neighbouring farmers, who supply their own wool. It is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford: the tithes amount to £125. 0. 3½. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Piercestown: the chapel at Mourntown, together with the school-house attached to it, is about to be rebuilt by subscription, on an acre of ground presented by N. A. Vigors, Esq. A parochial house for the R. C.
clergyman will also be erected near the chapel. The old castle, or tower, of Rathlannan stands in that part of the Johnstown deer-park which is in this parish; but of the castle of Mourntown, burnt during the disturbances in the early part of the 17th century, not a vestige can be traced.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kildavin to another place.
The entry for Kildavin from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0004916324 (Lat/Lon: 52.28994, -6.534471), Kildavin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
700049,616324and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)