KILLAN, or KILLANNE, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Enniscorthy, on the high road from New Ross to Newtownbarry; containing 2837 inhabitants. This parish comprises 9835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the lands are principally under tillage, the soil is light, and the system of agriculture improving. There is BO waste land, except on the higher part of the mountain of Blackstairs, which bounds the parish on the west, separating the counties of Wexford and Carlow, and is cultivated to a considerable height from its base. At Woodbrook is a slate quarry, which has been worked occasionally for private purposes. Lime for manure is drawn from kilns at Gore's-bridge, in the county of Kilkenny, a distance of 13 Irish miles. The principal seats are the Grange, the residence of Mrs. Richards, and Woodbrook, of Mrs. Blacker.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £477. 3. 7. The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, with some later details, was erected in 1832, at an expense of £1270, of which a loan of £1200 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £116 for its repair. The late Board also gave £100 towards the erection of the glebe-house, an elegant modern villa, pleasantly situated in a plantation of beech and fir, and commanding a fine view of the White and Blackstairs mountains: the glebe comprises 33 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Templeudigan, or Killegney; the chapel at Grange is a plain edifice. About 100 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by subscription; the school-house and an acre of land were given by the late Mr. Blacker: there is another public school of about 50 children, which has a house and two acres of land, rent free, from Mr. Colles; and about 200 children are taught in four private schools.
A spinning association for the employment of the female poor is managed by a committee of ladies. Near the village of Killan is a holy well, dedicated to St. Anne, from whom the parish takes its name. There are several Danish raths.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Killanne on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killann to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S8329542133 (Lat/Lon: 52.524615, -6.773517), Killann which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
683295,642133and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)