KILLESK, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (S. E.) from New Ross; containing 1009 inhabitants, and 2872 statute acres. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and patronage of Lord Templemore, granted in 1702, in augmentation of the impropriate curacies of Dunbrody, St. James, and Rathroe: the tithes amount to £312. 7. 4., and there is a glebe of about two acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Sutton's. About 30 children are educated in a private school. Here are some remains of a castle, said to have been built by Hervey de Montemarisco. [from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
"KILLESK, a parish in the barony of Shelburne, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 3 miles N.N.E. of Arthurstown. New Ross is its post town. It is 3 miles long by 2 broad. The surface consists principally of tillage lands. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ferns, value with others, £152. There are a church, a Roman Catholic chapel, and a hedge-school. Bodeevan is the principal residence. Here are the remains of a castle called Monte Marisco's Castle." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killesk to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S7470314863 (Lat/Lon: 52.280843, -6.906165), Killesk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
674703,614863and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)