KILLIANE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Wexford, on the road from that place to Rosslare; containing 260 inhabitants. It comprises 1064 statute acres, which are partly under tillage, but chiefly in pasture: the soil is good, and well cultivated, and. there is abundance of limestone and marl.
Killiane Castle, the property of Vigors Harvey, Esq., is on the shore of Wexford haven, of which it commands a pleasing view. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of Killinick; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £68. 11. 5., of which £17. 10. 4. is payable to the impropriator, and £51. 1. 1. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Piercestown. About 40 children are educated in a private school. The church is in ruins, and there are also the remains of a chapel, with a small burial-ground attached, near Killiane Castle, supposed to have been the cemetery of its ancient proprietors.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killiane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0526815975 (Lat/Lon: 52.285832, -6.458115), Killiane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705268,615975and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)