KILLELY, or KILLILA, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 31/2 miles (S. E.) from Oulart, on the coastroad from Wexford to Dublin; containing 677 inhabitants.
It comprises 1594 statute acres, and contains two quarries of good building stone of a slaty kind, also limestone, gravel, and marl. A fair is held at Croshu, in this parish, on Jan. 1st. Castle Talbot, the seat of the ancient family of Talbot, is now the residence of M. Talbot, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of Castle-Ellis: the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth: the tithes amount to £85. 4. 9., of which £45. 11. 3. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the perpetual curate. In the R. C.
divisions it forms part of the union or district of Blackwater, which includes this parish and Ballyvalloo, and has a chapel there. About 70 children are educated in two private schools. There are some remains of the church, and of a Danish rath. See BLACKWATER.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killila to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T1185333543 (Lat/Lon: 52.442348, -6.355816), Killila which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
711853,633543and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)