KILLURIN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Wexford, on the road from that place to Enniscorthy; containing, with the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Chapel-charon, 638 inhabitants. It comprises 1738 statute acres, which are tolerably well cultivated. The seats are Killurin House, lately the residence of the Devereux family, now the property of the Earl of Arran; Healthfield, of E. Beatty, Esq.; and Penzance, of C. Martin, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, united by act of council, in 1776, to the impropriate curacies of Kilbride- Glynn, Chapel-charon, and Whitechurch-Glynn, and episcopally with the impropriate curacy of Ballyheogue, together forming the union of Killurin, in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £86. 9.3¾., of which £38. 17. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent. The church, which was built in 1785, is a neat edifice with a tower, and had a handsome painted window, which was destroyed in the disturbances of 1798. Here is a handsome glebehouse, which cost £1200, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100, in 1816: the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Glynn, comprising the parishes of Killurin, Kilbride-Glynn, Ardcandridge, and Carrigg, and parts of Coolstuffe, White church-Glynn, and of the extra-parochial mountain of Forth; there is a neat chapel at Glynn, contiguous to which is a residence for the priest, given, with five acres of land, by Mr. Devereux; and there is another chapel at Barntown, in Carrigg. The parochial school, with apartments for the master, was erected in 1829 by the vicar, who gave nearly an acre of land, and subscribes £12 per annum towards its support: about 80 children are educated in it, and about 100 are taught in a school at Glynn. Here are the ruins of Carrigmanon, the ancient residence of the Devereux family. Cornwall, a small fishing village on the river Slaney, is in this parish.[from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
"CHAPEL CARRON, a quondam parish in the barony of Shelmaliere, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ferns, annexed to the vicarage of Killurin and some others, and in the patronage of the bishop. It is watered by the Slaney.[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The Wikipedia entry for Killurin.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killurin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9687726920 (Lat/Lon: 52.385704, -6.577882), Killurin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
696877,626920and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)