KILMOCREE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Wexford, on the south-western part of Wexford harbour, and on the high road from Wexford to Killinick and Rosslare; containing 203 inhabitants.
It comprises 1066 statute acres, which are partly under tillage, but chiefly in pasture. The cultivation of green 2 A 2 crops has been introduced, and agriculture generally is in au improved state. A small inlet, which separates this parish from Killinick, is navigable for lighters, which bring up coal and other articles. Grange, the seat of M. Wilson Palliser, Esq., is agreeably situated in a thriving plantation near the shore of the harbour.
It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Killinick; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £59. 18. 1½., of which £17. 17. 9¾. is payable to the impropriator, and £42. 0. 3¾. to the curate.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Piereetown, and has a chapel on the border of the parish. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmacree to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0513114383 (Lat/Lon: 52.271558, -6.460612), Kilmacree which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705131,614383and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)