KILMALOG, or KILMALLOCK, or KILMALOGUE, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to Wexford; containing 1159 inhabitants. It comprises 3748 statute acres, which are chiefly tinder cultivation, with the exception of part of a bog called Itty. Blue and white marl are abundant, and building stone is found at Garryvanen. The principal seats are Ballinkeel, the residence of J. Maher, Esq.; Kilmallock, of Mr. R. Peare, and Willmount, of Mr. J.
Goodall. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Castle-Ellis or Kilmalog; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth.
The tithes amount to £202. 12. 1., of which £120. 15. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £81. 16. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Crossabeg, and has a new chapel at Ballymurn. There is a private school, in which about 20 children are educated. Some remains of the old church exist in a large burial-ground, which is still used for interment.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmallock to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0404932280 (Lat/Lon: 52.432537, -6.470918), Kilmallock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
704049,632280and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)