Hide

Kilnahue

hide
Hide

KILNEHUE, or LAMOGUE, a parish, in the barony of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Gorey, on the high road to Carnew; containing 3363 inhabitants. This parish comprises 14,872 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which nearly the whole is under tillage. The soil is in general light, with the exception of some heavy clay near Gorey; the system of agriculture has of late been much improved; but the want of lime, which is not to be obtained nearer than the county of Carlow, is a great obstacle to the progress of its improvement. Marl pits occur in various parts of the parish; and at Slievebawn, near Moneyseed chapel, are some quarries of good slate.

A constabulary police force is stationed at Moneyseed.

The living is a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory forming part of the union of Gorey and of the corps of the deanery of Ferns; the perpetual curacy, which was erected in 1828, and of which the stipend is £120, is in the patronage of the Dean. The tithes amount to £465. 16. 9., with the exception of the townland of Buckstone, of which the tithes have from time immemorial been paid to the rector of Carnew.

The curacy extends over 30 townlands, comprising the greater part of this parish, and also over two townlands in the parish of Kilkevan. A glebe of 61/2 acres has been allotted to the curate, in exchange for the original glebe of 41/2 acres. A neat church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £800, was built in 1813, at Holyforth; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £141 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union of Gorey, but chiefly in that of Camolin; there is a chapel at Moneyseed. The parochial school is supported by a grant of £7 per annum from the Association for Discountenancing Vice, and also by a contribution from the curate.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Kilnahue which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Land & Property

The entry for Kilnahue from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on NAI

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0999962629 (Lat/Lon: 52.703989, -6.373419), Kilnahue which are provided by: