Hide

Kilrush

hide
Hide

KILRUSH, a parish, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, adjoining the post-town of Newtownbarry, and containing 2731 inhabitants. This parish comprises 11,036 statute acres of land generally fertile; but with the exception of some pebble limestone, manure is scarce, and limestone is brought from the county of Carlow. It is watered by the river Slaney, over which are two stone bridges, one connecting it with Newtownbarry, and the other crossing the river at Clohamon. The principal seats are Ballynapark, that of G. Browne, Esq.; Clohamon Lodge, of N. Browne, Esq.; Ballyrankin, of Major Devereux; and Newlands, of the Rev. W. Hore, all pleasantly situated on the banks of the Slaney. Part of the demesne of Woodfield, the beautiful seat of Lord Farnham, is also in this parish. Clohamon is a neat and thriving village of recent origin, and the population is chiefly employed in the large flour and cotton-mills of Mr. William Lewis, from the latter of which are produced on an average about 200 pieces weekly. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming the corps of the prebend of Kilrush in Ferns cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £694. 3.1. The church is a small plain edifice, and has recently been repaired by a grant of £262 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including this parish and that part of Carnew which is in the county of Wexford, and containing chapels at Kilrush and Askamore; the former is a neat modern building, attached to which are a residence for the priest and a school. About 150 children are educated in two public schools, to one of which the rector contributes £10, and to the other Grogan Morgan, Esq., £2, annually.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

Clohamon on wikipedia

You can see pictures of Kilrush which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Land & Property

The entry for Kilrush from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9611655736 (Lat/Lon: 52.644708, -6.580739), Kilrush which are provided by: