The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Miscellaneous contained the following places:
"BAGENBON, a promontory in Ballyteigne Bay, in the barony of Shelburne, county of Wexford, Ireland. Earl Strongbow's army landed here in 1171, and its name, which was formerly Dondonolf, was changed to its present form from two of his vessels, named respectively the Bag and the Bon. The bay has a sandy bottom, and a martello tower was erected on the promontory during the French war."
"BALLAGHKEEN BARONY, one of the nine baronies or subdivisions of the county of Wexford, in the province of Leinster, Ireland. It is situated on the eastern side of the county, on the coast of St. George's Channel, and is bounded on the N. by the barony of Gorey, on the E. by St. George's Channel, on the S. by the barony of Shelmaliere, and on the W. by the river Slaney and the barony of Scarawalsh. The barony comprises the following parishes: Ardamine, Ballyhuskard, Ballyvalloo, Castle-Ellis, Edermine, Killincooley, Killenagh, Killila, Killisk, Kilmuckridge, Kilmalogue, Kilnamanagh, Kiltennele, Melina, with parts of Ballinaslaney, Donaghmore, Kilcavan, Kiltrisk, St. Margaret's, Templeshannon, Kilcormick, Kilmichaelogue, Monamolin, and Skreen, and the town of Enniscorthy. The barony extends over an area of about 86,540 acres."
"BANTRY BARONY, one of the nine baronies or subdivisions of the county of Wexford, in the province of Leinster, Ireland, situated on the western side of the county, and bounded on the N. by the barony of Scarawalsh, on the E. by the river Slaney and the barony of Shelmaliere, on the S. by the baronies of Shelmaliere and Shelburne and on the W. by the river Barrow and the county of Carlow. It contains the following parishes: Adamstown, Ballyanna, Carnagh Chapel, Clonleigh, Doonooney, Kilcowanmore, Killan Killegney, Kilscanlan, Oldross, Rossdrae, St. John's, St. Mary's, and Templescoby; with parts of Ballyhogue, Clonmore, Newbawn, St. Mullin's, Whitechurch, and Whitechurch-glynn; and the towns of New Ross, Clonroche, and Maudlin's. The area of the barony is about 102,000 acres."
"BARONY BARGY, one of the nine baronies or subdivisions of the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, situated in the southern part of the county, and bounded on the N. by the barony of Shelmaliere, on the E. by the barony of Forth, on the S. by Ballyteigue Bay, and on the W. by the barony of Shelburne. It contains the parishes of Ambrosetown, Ballyconnick, Bannow, Duncormick, Kilcavan, Kilcowan, Killag, Kilmannan, Kilmore, Kilturk, Mulrankin, Tomhaggard, with part of Taghmon, and the towns of Bridgetown, Carrick, and Danescastle. The barony extends over an area of 40,000 acres.
"BORO, (or Bow), two small rivers of Ireland, one a branch of the Suir, which takes its rise in the Blackstairs mountains, in the western part of the county of Wexford; and the other, a feeder of Lough Derg, rises in the pass of Moynoe, in the barony of Upper Tulla, in county Clare.
"COURTOWN, a small seaport in the barony of Gorey, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 3 miles S.E. of the town of Gorey. It is situated at the upper part of Kilbride Bay, near the village of River-chapel. A convenient harbour and pier have been formed. In the neighbourhood is the neat of the Earl of Courtown, who is proprietor of the estate. In 1798 this mansion was attacked and sustained considerable damage from a company of the rebels."
"EAST SHELMALIERE, a barony, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. It contains the parishes of Ardcavan, Ardcolme, Artramon, Kilpatrick, Tikillin, and parts of Ballynaslaney, St. Margaret's, and Skreen.
"FORTH, a barony in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. It is bounded on the N. by Wexford harbour and Shelmaliere, on the E. and S. by the Atlantic Ocean, and on the W. by Bargy. Its area is 38,849 acres. The Forth mountains rise on the N. border. The surface is well cultivated and fertile. The southern extremity forms Carnsore Point, the landmark which divides the Atlantic from St. George's Channel. It contains the parishes of Ballybrennan, Ballymore, Carn, Drinagh, Ishartmon, Kerloge, Kildavin, Killiane, Killinick, Kilmacree, Kilrane, Kilscoran, Ladys-island, Maudlintown, Mayglass, Rathaspick, Rathmachnee, Rosslare, St. Helen's, St. Iberius, St. Margaret's, St. Michael's, St. Peter's, Tacumshin, and parts of Wexford, including St. Bridget's, St. Doologe, St. Iberius, St. John's, St. Mary's, St. Michael's of Feagh, St. Patrick's, and St. Selskar's. This barony, with Bargy, was an early Anglo-Saxon settlement; it was strongly fortified, and numerous ruins of castles, forts, churches, &c., are preserved to this day."
"GOREY, a barony in county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, bounded by county Wicklow on the N., by the Irish Sea on the E., by the barony of Ballaghkeen on the S., and by that of Scarewalsh and county Wicklow on the W. It is 14 miles long and its greatest breadth is 10 miles. The surface is generally flat. The river Bann rises in the N. It contains the parishes of Ballycanew, Kilgorman, Kilnahue, Liskinfere, Rossminoge, Kilninor, and parts of Carnew, Crosspatrick, Donaghmore, Ferns, Inch, Kiltrisk, Gorey, Tomb, Kilcormuck, Kilkevin, Kilpipe, and Monamolin."
"KEERAGH or KEEROES ISLANDS, a cluster of small islands on the south coast of Wexford, Ireland, near the Saltees rocks."
"KILMICHAEL HEAD, a promontory on the coast of county Wexford, Ireland, 5 miles S. of Arklow. It is a coastguard station, and has a good fishing-bank off it."
"LEINSTER, one of the loftiest mountains of the Blackstans range, being 2,610 feet high, on the border of counties Carlow and Wexford, Ireland, about 5 miles W. of Newtownbarry."
"LESK WATER, a feeder of the Bann, county Wexford, Ireland."
"OWENAVARRAGH, a small river of the county of Wexford, Ireland, rises near Oulart, and, after a course of 14 miles, falls into St. George's Channel at Courtown."
"POLMONTY, a feeder of the Barrow, county Wexford, Ireland."
"RAVEN POINT, a promontory on the coast of county Wexford, Ireland. It forms the northern point at the entrance to Wexford haven, nearly opposite to Roslare Point."
"RUSK AND RAM, a sand-bank off Glascarrick Point, county Wexford, Ireland."
"SALTEE ISLANDS, in the barony of Bargy, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. They consist of a group of two islands, distinguished as Great and Little, and several outstanding rocks. They are situated about 4 miles off the coast in the parish of Kilmore, and are the property of H. Morgan, Esq. Traces of numerous buildings suggest that the islands have been formerly of greater importance. Beyond the rocks is a floating light, visible at a distance of 9 miles."
"SCAR BAY, on the coast of county Wexford, Ireland."
"SCARAWALSH, a barony in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. It contains the following parishes: Ballycarney, Clone, Kilbride, Kilcomb, Kilrush, Moynart, St. Mary's Enniscorthy, St. Mary's Newtown-Barry, Temple-Shanbo, and parts of Carnew, Ferns, Moyacomb, Temple-Shannon, and Toome."
"SCULLABOGUE, a spot in county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 5 miles N.N.W. of Taghmon. It is situated at the foot of Carrickburn Hill, and was the scene of the massacre of upwards of 100 persons by the rebels in 1798."
"SELSKER, the site of an abbey in the county of Wexford, Ireland, 1 mile from Wexford. It was founded in the 9th century, and was enlarged and endowed by Sir A. Roche. In 1169 the first treaty with the English was signed here."
"SHELBURNE, a barony in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland. It gives title of earl to the Marquis of Lansdowne, and contains the following parishes, Ballybrazill, Clonmines, Fethard, Hook, Killesk, Kilmokea, Owenduff, Rathroe, St. James and Dunbrody, Tellarought, Templetown, Tintern, and part of Whitechurch."
"SLANEY, a river of the county of Wexford, Ireland, rises under the Table Mountain, and after a course of 60 miles, in which it is joined by the Little Slaney, falls into the sea at Wexford Harbour."
"ST. PATRICK'S BRIDGE, a stone causeway in the S. of county Wexford, Ireland, near Ballyteigne Point.
"TUSKAR, a cluster of rocks, off the coast of Wexford, Ireland, 5 miles S.E. of Greenore Point."
"URRIN, a stream, county Wexford, Ireland, rises under Mount Leinster, and joins the Slaney near Enniscorthy."
"WEST SHELMALIERE, a barony, county Wexford, contains the parishes of Ardcandrisk, Ballingly, Balleylannan, Ballymithy, Carrick, Clongeen, Coolstuff, Horetown, Inch, Kilbredeglynn, Kilgarvan, Killurin, and parts of Ballyhoge, Clonmore, Newbawn, Taghmon, and Whitechurchglynn.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018