OWENDUFFE, or AWINDUFFE, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Taghmon, an the road to Ballyhack; containing 2348 inhabitants. It is situated on a stream called the Awenduffe or Blackwater, which is tributary to the Bannow or Scar river, and separates the baronies of Shelburne and Shelmalier; and it comprises 7799 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. At Yoletown are two flour-mills, worked by the Blackwater, and there are also two bleachgreens on the banks of that river.
The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of Tintern: the rectory is impropriate in Cæsar Colclough, Esq., to whom the tithes, amounting to £340, are payable. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions also it is in the union or district of Tintern. About 100 children are educated in three private schools.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Owenduff to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S7793519275 (Lat/Lon: 52.320034, -6.857789), Owenduff which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
677935,619275and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)