ROSSMANOGUE, a parish, partly in the barony of SCARAWALSH, but chiefly in that of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Ferns; containing 1211 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Bann, and is skirted by the high road from Camolin to Carnew, comprises 4451½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, chiefly in tillage: on its border is a small red bog. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Tomb in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to £165. 4.7¼; and there is a glebe of 14 acres. The church is in ruins.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Camolin; the chapel is at Craneford, adjoining which is a residence for the priest. About 100 children are educated in two private schools. The late Rt. Hon.
George Ogle, of Bellevue, in this county, author of "Molly Asthore" and other admired ballads, received the earlier part of his education under the Rev. Mr. Millar, then rector of this parish.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rossminoge to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0742559774 (Lat/Lon: 52.678857, -6.412415), Rossminoge which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
707425,659774and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)