St. James & Dunbrody
"ST. JAMES, (and Dunbrody) a parish in the barony of Shelbourne, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles N. of Arthurstown. It is situated on Waterford Harbour. A ferry maintains the traffic with Passage on the opposite shore. The living is an impropriate curacy in the diocese of Ferns, and is united to Rathroe, in the patronage and impropriation of Lord Templemore. In the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish is united to Horeswood. Dunbrody Abbey, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, was founded in 1182 by Hervey de Montmorency. This abbey, with the church, forms one of the finest ruins in the country, the latter is in the early English style, and was partly founded by Herlewen, Bishop of Leighlin, whose remains were deposited there in 1217. Some years ago a large metal seal, supposed to be the abbey seal, was picked up here. Dunbrody Castle, occupying the site of the ancient castle, is the seat of Lord Templemore."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"DUNBRODY-ST-PETER-AND-ST-PAUL, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N.) from Arthurstown, on the road from New Ross to Duncannon Fort; the population is returned with the parish of St. James. Hervey de Montmorency, marshal of Hen. II., and seneschal of all the lands acquired by Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, on his expedition to Ireland, having in consequence of some dispute resigned bin commission., parcelled out the lands allotted to him among his followers, retaining only that portion which now constitutes the parishes of Dunbrody and St. James. In 1182, he founded and dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul the Cistertian abbey of Dunbrody, which he endowed with this reserved portion of his possessions, and became, himself the first abbot. The abbots sat as barons in the Irish Parliament, and the establishment flourished until the dissolution, when Alexander Devereux, the last abbot, compounded for his abbacy, and was appointed Bishop of Ferns..... More" [Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Dunbrody - The transcription of the section from Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St. James & Dunbrody to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S7344610992 (Lat/Lon: 52.246228, -6.925416), St. James & Dunbrody which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
673446,610992and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)