St. Johns - Enniscorthy
JOHN'S-ST, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Enniscorthy; containing 636 inhabitants. It comprises 2171 statute acres, almost exclusively under tillage: the soil is rather light, and there is neither bog nor waste land. On the banks of the river Boro was formerly a woollen factory, now converted into flour-mills, called Kilcarbery Mills, from which about 200 barrels of flour are sent weekly to Wexford for exportation. The Boro is navigable for flat-bottomed barges to the bridge at these mills, and the river Slaney to Enniscorthy. The principal seats are St. John's, the residence of C. Hill, Esq., M.D., near the northern extremity of St. John's wood, which stretches more than a mile along the western bank of the Slaney. The mansion, which was erected about 40 years since includes part of what is supposed to have been the abbot of St. John's summer residence, which had a demesne of 300 acres. Near the confluence of the Boro with the Slaney is Borodale, the seat of D. Beatty, Esq., an elegant modern villa; and on the summit of a hill is St. Anne's, the seat of Plunket Preston, Esq., a substantial modern mansion commanding a pleasing prospect. Here are also Ballinapierce, the residence of O. Bolton, Esq.; Sweetfarm, of W. Jones, Esq.; and Bloomfield, of W. R. Farmar, Esq., a newly erected mansion in the Tudor style, cased with fine white granite from Mount Leinster. The manor of St. John's is eo-extensive with the parish; about half of it is held by Dr. Hill, under a perpetual lease from the Earl of Rosse. It was formerly held by the Earl of Ormond, to whom it was assigned by Edmund Spenser, the poet, to whom Queen Elizabeth granted the convent of St. John's, which was founded for Augustinian Canons by Gerald de Prendergast, about 1230.
The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of St. Mary's, Enniscorthy: the tithes amount to £212. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Enniscorthy, but chiefly in that of Davidstown. The ruins of the old church are situated in Dr. Hill's demesne, near the site of the abbey; its burial-ground is still used. At St. John's bridge is a mineral spring, which was formerly much resorted to; and some fine specimens of asbestos were lately discovered at Bloomfield.
[from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
"ST. JOHN'S , a parish in the barony of Bantry, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles from Enniscorthy, its post town. The surface extends along the banks of the rivers Slaney and Boro, which last is navigable for barges at this point. It consists of good land, and is traversed by the road from Enniscorthy to Wexford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ferns, value with St. Mary's, Enniscorthy, £1,080, in the patronage of the bishop. In the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish belongs partly to the district of Enniscorthy, and partly to that of Davidstown. The principal seats are St. John's, Borodale, Sweetfarm, and Tomnalossett. The convent of St. John's was founded in 1230, and was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Edmund Spencer, the poet, who had the manor assigned to him by the Earl of Ormonde. Near the site of the abbey are the ruins of the ancient parish church. There is a medicinal spring at John's Bridge.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St. Johns - Enniscorthy to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9579137690 (Lat/Lon: 52.482646, -6.59074), St. Johns - Enniscorthy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
695791,637690and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)