St. Margarets - Shelmalier
MARGARET-ST, or RAVEN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Wexford, on the coast road to Gorey; containing 920 inhabitants. It comprises 1807 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; sea weed is generally used for manure, and turf is obtained on the shore at low water. The southern part of the parish consists of a range of sand hills, extending nearly two miles from north to south, and terminating in the headland called Raven Point, which forms the northern side of the entrance to Wexford harbour: the bar of the latter commences at this point. Inside the sand hills is an extensive cockle bed, and westward of this is the small island called Breast. At Curracloe is a station of the coast guard, forming part of the district of Gorey: the fishery off the coast here affords employment to some of the inhabitants. It is stated that for £300 a canal could be cut from Curracloe, which is occasionally resorted to for sea-bathing, to the north-east point of Wexford harbour, and thus afford a direct communication by water between the town of Wexford and the coast. At Kilmacoe is the seat of Cadwallader Waddy, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Ardcolme; the tithes amount to £37. 17. 4. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Castlebridge, and has a chapel at Kilmacoe. About 30 children are educated in a private school. The ancient church, which stood near the shore, was washed away many years since; it is supposed that the sea has encroached nearly a quarter of a mile upon this coast within the last half century. There was an old castle at Curracloe, which was taken down a few years since.[from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
"RAVEN, (or St. Margaret), a parish in the baronies of Ballaghkeen and East Shelmaliere, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 5 miles N.E. of Wexford, which is its post town. It is 3 miles long and its extreme breadth is 2 miles. The surface lies along the coast of Wexford Harbour, and comprises a considerable proportion of waste land. Part of the parish consists of a sandy peninsula of 2 miles length, at the extremity of which is Raven Point. Tho living is a rectory in the diocese of Ferns, value with Ardcolme, £509, in the patronage of the bishop. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to those of Skreen and Castlebridge. There is a day school. Two or three residences are seated in this parish. [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
Curracloe on wikipedia
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St. Margarets - Shelmalier to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T1025026204 (Lat/Lon: 52.376749, -6.381796), St. Margarets - Shelmalier which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
710250,626204and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)