MICHAEL'S-ST, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER; 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Wexford, on the road to Rosslare; containing 93 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated on the southern extremity of Wexford Harbour, comprises only 564½ statute acres, chiefly under an improved system of cultivation. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the herring fishery during the season, this part of the harbour being frequented by boats from various places engaged in that pursuit. The only seat is Bushville, the residence of Chas. Jacob, Esq., the principal proprietor of the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Killinick: the rectory is impropriate in Caesar Colclough, Esq. Of the tithes, amounting to £27. 16. 6., two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. There are no remains of the church, but the old burial-ground is still used.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St. Michaels to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0807513413 (Lat/Lon: 52.262274, -6.417818), St. Michaels which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
708075,613413and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)