St. Michaels of Feagh
MICHAEL'S-ST-OF-FEAGH, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, immediately without the walls of the town of Wexford; containing, with the parishes of Maudlin- town and Killilogue, 2377 inhabitants. This small parish, which, as applotted under the tithe act, contains only 135 statute acres, forms the south-eastern suburb of the town, and is mostly occupied by fishermen and small shopkeepers. Within its limits is Cromwell's Fort, the northern extremity of a rugged tract called the White Rocks, whence Cromwell fired on the town in 1649: it is now being quarried and affords an abundant supply of good building stone. Immediately adjoining is the residence of the Rev. Zachariah Cornock, to which it gives name. The Wexford Barracks are also within the limits of the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford: the rectory is impropriate in Cæsar Colclough, Esq., of Tintern Abbey.
The tithes amount to £11.9.9., of which £2. 7. 0 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is also in the union or district of Wexford. The ruins of the old church still remain.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St. Michaels of Feagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0520321129 (Lat/Lon: 52.33215, -6.457465), St. Michaels of Feagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705203,621129and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)