Hide

Templetown

hide
Hide

TEMPLETOWN, or KILCLOGHAN, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Fethard, near the road from that place to New Ross by Duncannon Fort; containing 1387 inhabitants, of which number, 50 are in the village. The place probably derived its name from a preceptory of Knights Templars founded here in the reign of King John by one of the O'More family, and on the suppression of that order in the reign of Edw. II., converted into a commandery of Knights Hospitallers, of which, in 1326, Fitz David was the chief. The parish comprises 3267 statute acres, chiefly under tillage; the soil is loamy, and the state of agriculture has within the last few years been much improved.

The principal residence is Ballystraw, that of J. R. Allen, Esq., a neat villa pleasantly situated. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Hook: the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ely, to whom the tithes, amounting to £123. 17. 1., are wholly payable. The church is a neat modern edifice, connected by a corridor with the tower of Templetown, the only remains of the ancient church of the Templars, in conformity with which it is in the early English style. In the R. C. divisions also the parish is in the union or district of Hook; there is a neat chapel at Templetown, to which a school of about 100 children is attached: a Sunday school is superintended by the Protestant clergyman. Besides the remains of the Templars' church, there are also those of the old castle of Kilcloghan, supposed to be of equal antiquity.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Templetown which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

topup

Land & Property

The entry for Templetown from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on NAI

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S7636704395 (Lat/Lon: 52.186563, -6.884143), Templetown which are provided by: