The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Toome contained the following places:
"TOOME, a parish in the baronies of Gorey and Scarawalsh, county Wexford, Ireland, 5 miles S.W. of Gorey. The surface consists of tolerably good soil. It contains the post town, Camolin, and is traversed by the river Bann. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ferns, value with two others, £526, in the patronage of the bishop. The principal residence is Norrismount. Here are the ruins of Ballinclare Church.
"CAMOLIN, a village in the parish of Toome, and barony of Scarawalsh, in the county of Wexford, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles to the N.E. of Ferns. It is seated on the river Bann, and was the site of a monastery, of which there are some vestiges. Camolin Park is the seat of the Earl of Mountnorris. Fairs are held on the 9th February, the 4th April, the 9th June, the 28th September, and the 9th November."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018