Wexford St John
JOHN'S-ST, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, extending from the town of Wexford in a western direction, and containing 3018 inhabitants, of which number, 2758 are within the limits of the town. It. comprises about 480 statute acres, partly covered by the suburbs of the town; the remainder is mostly occupied as garden and pasture ground. Within its limits are the county gaol, county infirmary, St. Peter's college, the diocesan school, and female orphan house (which are respectively described in the account of the town of Wexford), also the following seats:-Rockfield, the residence of P. W. Redmond, Esq.; Summer Hill, of Mrs.
Redmond; Belvidere, of Miss Howitson; and Laurel Hill, of Mr. A. D. Fitzpatrick; the Rectory, and Spawell brewery, the property of Mr. N. Scallan, are also in the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the (???)dioccse of Ferns, forming part of the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford; the rectory is impropriate in Cæsar Colclough, Esq., of Tintern Abbey. The tithes amount to £50. 3.7½., of which £7. 13. 0. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Wexford. Some remains of the old church still exist.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wexford St John to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0360421814 (Lat/Lon: 52.338607, -6.480688), Wexford St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
703604,621814and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)