WHITECHURCH-GLYN, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD; and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Taghmon, near the road to Enniscorthy; containing 1738 inhabitants. It comprises 6730 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, partly in pasture, but chiefly in tillage: the new road from Wexford to New Ross passes through the southern part of the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory is partly impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth, and the remainder, which was formerly impropriate in the Colclough family, was, about the year 1740, purchased by the late Board of First Fruits for the endowment of the impropriate cure, which now forms part of the union of Killurin. The tithes amount to £260. 1. 1½., of which £45. 7. 4½. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Taghmon, but chiefly in that of Glyn.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitechurchglynn to another place.
The entry for Whitechurchglynn from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9309825068 (Lat/Lon: 52.369725, -6.633881), Whitechurchglynn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
693098,625068and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)