BALLYKINE, a constablewick or sub-denomination of the parish of RATHDRUM, barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (S. W.) from Rathdrum; containing 2634 inhabitants.
This place, which is situated in the mountain district leading from Arklow to Donard, was anciently celebrated for its monastery, which, according to Archdall, was founded by the brother of St. Kevin. It includes the villages of Ballinaclash, Sheanna, Cappagh, Aghrim, and the old borough of Carysfort, and comprises 9904 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 6952 acres are arable and pasture land, and the remainder mountain. Whaley Abbey, the seat of R.W. Whaley, Esq., occupies the site of the ancient monastery; and within the constablewick are also Ballard Park, the residence of D. Lawrence, Esq., and Clash Cottage, of E. Johnson, Esq. By an inquisition, taken in 1604, this is denominated a rectory, which, with those of Rathdrum and Moycredyne or Moycreddin, was found to have belonged to the priory or monastery of All Saints, and was granted for ever, on the 4th of February, 30th of Hen. VIII., to the mayor, bailiffs, and commons of the city of Dublin, at an annual rent of £4. It now forms one of the denominations constituting the union or benefice of Rathdrum, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough; and also, together with the constablewick of Ballinacor, constitutes, as regards the cure of souls, the new district parish of Ballinaclash, of which the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Rathdrum, who receives the whole of the tithes, amounting to £181.8.6½. In the R.C. divisions it is in the union or district of Rathdrum. At Ballinaclash is a school, supported by the rector of Rathdrum; also a Sunday school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.