In 1868, the parish of Calary contained the following places:
"CALARY, a parish in the baronies of Newcastle, Rathdown, and Ballinacor, in the county of Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland, 4 miles to the W. of Newtown-Mount-Kennedy. It lies in a mountainous district, near the source of the river Liffey. There is a large tract of bog, and the surface rises at Douce Mountain to the height of 2,384 feet. Calary, which extends over an area of 19,584 acres, was made a separate parish in 1831. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, Glendalagh, and Kildare, value £33, in the patronage of the incumbents of the four contiguous parishes. The church, erected in 1834, is in the perpendicular style, with an embattled and pinnacled tower. There is much striking scenery, and fine prospects are obtained from several points in the neighbourhood. The chief residences are Luggela and Tithower."