DUNGANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Wicklow, on the road to Arklow; containing 3135 inhabitants. This parish, which is called also Ennisboheen, is bounded on the east by the Irish sea, and comprises 10,322 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about three-fourths are meadow and pasture, furnishing some of the finest butter for the Dublin market, and the remainder under tillage. The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture in the highest state of improvement; there is an adequate proportion of bog, and a quarry of good slate, which, though bordering on the sea, is not worked for want of a convenient landing-place. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, embracing extensive mountain and sea views, and the neighbourhood is enlivened with several gentlemen's seats and villas, of which the principal are West Aston, the residence of Lieut.-Col. Acton; Oatlands, of W. Shepard, Esq.; Sheep hill, of J. Shepard, Esq.; Sea Park, of J. Revell, Esq.; Ballymoney, of W. Revell, Esq.; Ballinclare, of Capt. T. Keoghoe; and Springfield, of J. Wright, Esq. Of Dunganstown Castle, the property of the coheiresses of the late F. Hoey, Esq., and now in the occupation of M. Wright, Esq., the only remains are one square tower and an extensive range of domestic buildings, partially covered with ivy. There is an extensive nursery, belonging to Messrs, Hodgens, in which are many choice plants. A ladies' association for employing the female poor in spinning, knitting, and making nets has been established. At Jack's Hole is a coast-guard station, one of the seven constituting the district of Gorey.
Seven townlands have been separated from this parish to form the new parish of Redcross. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of Dublin: the tithes amount to £700; the glebe-house is a handsome residence, and the glebe comprises 20 acres of arable land. The church, a neat plain structure, was enlarged in 1821 by a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £200 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union, called Kilbride, comprising also part of the parishes of Templemichael and Castlemacadam; there are chapels at Ballymurn, and Barryderry.
About 190 children are taught in four public schools, one of which is supported by Lieut.-Col. Acton; and another, for which a building was erected by subscription amounting to £182, aided by £100 from the parliamentary fund, is supported by subscription. There are three private schools, in which are about 100 children; and a dispensary. A loan fund has been established, and a house is rented for the poor, who receive also the interest of two legacies of £100 each, bequeathed by Miss De Stournelles and Mrs. Frost, together producing £6. 13. 6. annually. There are several raths, and the remains of an extensive fortification, on the hill above which a shaft was sunk for copper, which was discovered, but not in sufficient quantity to work profitably. At Castletimon and Ennisboheen are remains of old churches, with burial-places; the Society of Friends have a burying-ground at Ballymurton; and on the farm of Ballincarrig several stone graves with skeletons were found a few years since.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.