KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Arklow, on the river Ovoca, and the road to Wicklow; containing 1192 inhabitants. It lies on the coast, and is generally under a good state of cultivation. Shelton Abbey, the splendid seat of the Earl of Wicklow, described in the article on Arklow, is partly within its limits; and there are several good residences, of which the principal are Sheepwalk, that of T. Murray, Esq.; Seabank, of R. Hudson, Esq.; Ballymoney, of the Rev. M. J. Mayers; and Killiniskyduff, of M. Hudson, Esq. Near the mouth of the Ovoca is a coastguard station. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, previously to 1833 a part of the union of Arklow, and now united with the vicarages of Enorely and Templemichael; together constituting the union of Kilbride, in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes of the parish amount to £200. 6. 2. The church, erected in 1834, at the expense of the Earl of Wicklow, is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newbridge and Baranisky; the chapel is a neat and spacious edifice. About 210 children are taught in the public schools, of which the parochial male and female schools are supported by the Earl and Countess of Wicklow; and there are two infants' schools, one supported by the Countess, and the other by the Rev. M. J. Mayers, the present incumbent; also a Sunday school. The ruins of the old church are on an eminence commanding a fine view of the town and bridge of Arklow, a great expanse of sea, the demesne of Shelton Abbey, and the woods of Glenart. In the churchyard is a mausoleum of the Howard family; there is also an ancient burialplace at Templereeny.[from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.]
TEMPLEMICHAEL, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.) from Arklow: containing 360 inhabitants. It was separated from Arklow by act of council in 1833, and is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Kilbride. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Newbridge and Baranisky, and contains a chapel.[From a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Samuel Lewis, 1837]
"TEMPLEMICHAEL, a parish in the barony of Arklow, county Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles N. of Arklow. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough joined to Kilbride (which see). The church is in ruins. There is a Roman Catholic chapel."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2018]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilbride (Arklow) to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T2400076938 (Lat/Lon: 52.829483, -6.160992), Kilbride (Arklow) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Kilbride (Arklow)and paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)