In 1868, the parish of Kilbride contained the following places:
"KILBRIDE, a parish in the barony of Arklow, county Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles N. of Arklow, its post town. The parish is 3½ miles long by 2 broad. The surface extends along the bank of the river Ovoca and the sea-coast. It consists generally of a good and well-cultivated soil. The road from Arklow to Wicklow traverses the interior. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Dublin, value with Templemichael, £221, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is in the later English style, and was erected in 1834, by the Earl of Wicklow. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to those of Newbridge and Baranisky. There are parochial, one or two day schools, and a Sunday-school. Shelton Abbey, partly within the parish, is the seat of the Earl Wicklow. Several other residences adorn the neighbourhood. A coastguard station is established in this parish. A fine view is obtained from an eminence, crowned by the ruins of the ancient church. In the burial-ground is a mausoleum of the Howards."
"SHELTON ABBEY, a seat of the Earl of Wicklow, in the parish of Kilbride, county Wicklow, Ireland, 2 miles N.W. of Arklow, in the vale of Avoca."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018