In 1868, the parish of Kilcoole contained the following places:
"KILCOOLE, a parish in the barony of Newcastle, county Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland. Delgany is its post town. It is a station on the Dublin and Wicklow railway. The parish is 4 miles long and 2 broad. The surface is marshy on the coast, but hilly in the interior. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Dublin, value with Delgany, £500, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is in ruins. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Newcastle. There are four daily schools and a Sunday-school. Several residences adorn the neighbourhood, among which may be mentioned Altadore, Finny Park, and Ballygannon."
"DOWNS, a village in the parish of Kilcoole, barony of Newcastle, in the county of Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland, 4½ miles S. of Bray. It is situated on the road from thence to Wicklow."
"KILPEDDER, a hamlet in the parish of Kilcoole, barony of Newcastle, county Wicklow, Ireland, 2 miles N. of Newton-Mountkennedy."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018