KILPOOLE, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the greater portion of the town of Wicklow, 2269 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the eastern coast, was anciently the extremity of the English pale, and formed part of the possessions of the priory of Kilmainham: it comprises 2695 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Off the coast is the sand bank called the Horse Shoe, which extends southwest for about a mile, with about 5 feet of water on it at the north end, which is the shallowest part. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Wicklow; the rectory is impropriate in Earl Fitzwilliam. The tithes amount to £120, of which half is payable to the impropriator and half to the vicar. There are four private schools, in which are about 120 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilpoole to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T3249591829 (Lat/Lon: 52.961183, -6.028966), Kilpoole which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Kilpooleand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)