In 1868, the parish of Kilpoole contained the following places:
"KILPOOLE, a parish in the barony of Arklow, county Wicklow, province of Leinster, Ireland, containing a part of Wicklow, its post town. It is a little over 2 miles in length and the same in breadth. It lies along the coast, which is rocky, including Wicklow Head, Brides Head, and Sea-park Point. The living forms part of the benefice of Wicklow [which see], in the diocese of Dublin. The church is situated outside the limits of the parish. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a Quaker meetinghouse, and three or four day schools. Kilpoole House is the chief seat of the neighbourhood. This parish anciently belonged to Kilmainham Priory. The ruins of Black Castle stand on an elevated spot near Wicklow. It is supposed to have been built in the 14th century. There are also ruins of two churches in the parish."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018