"ABERDEEN, a city and sea-port-town and seat of a university, the capital of the county of Aberdeen, and the metropolis of the North of Scotland, 109 miles (N. N. E.) from Edinburgh, and 511 (N. by W.) from London; containing, with parts of the parishes of Old Aberdeen and Banchory-Devenick, 67,000 inhabitants. ... The city formerly constituted the parish of St. Nicholas alone, which was divided by the authority of the Court of Teinds, in 1828, into the six separate parishes of East, West, North, South, the Grey Friars, and St. Clement. . . More"
"BANCHORY-DEVENICK, a parish, partly within, and partly without, the city of Aberdeen, district and county of Aberdeen, but mostly in the county of Kincardine; including the villages of Downies, Findon, and Portlethen, and containing 2736 inhabitants. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
A book of monumental inscriptions for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
Aberdeen section from Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aberdeen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aberdeen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ926055 (Lat/Lon: 57.140603, -2.123097), Aberdeen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.