GreyFriars (John Knox), Aberdeen, Church of Scotland
"The parish of the Grey Friars is wholly in the town, and contains a population of 5356; the minister's stipend is £250, paid by the corporation. The church, formerly the church of the monastery of Grey Friars, is a very ancient structure, enlarged and improved some years since, and contains 1042 sittings. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends."
From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851)
The current church was built in 1903 to replace the Medieaval predecessor of 1532, called the Kirk of Greyfriars. This earlier church was demolished to allow the construction of Marischal College. The present church was built by A. Marshall Mackenzie in a Gothic revival style. It features a tower, rectangular nave with a west gallery and south aisle (which features a blind arcade on its north side). There is a chancel with organ chamber on the south side. The church features a hall complex and rooms located under the church. At the east end is a chapel with internal and external access. There is a vestry which is reached by a stair from the church and halls.
See a more extensive description of Greyfriars at Canmore.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)