Aboyne and Glentanner
"ABOYNE-AND-GLENTANNER, a parish (united), in the district of Kincardine-O'Neil, county of Aberdeen, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Kincardine O'Neil; containing, with the burgh of barony of Charlestown, 1138 inhabitants. The Gaelic words A, signifying a "ford," and boinne or buinne, a "thin rippling water, "originated the appellation of the first of these places, on account of its proximity to a ford on the river Dee; and the name Glentanner is said to be compounded of the Gaelic terms Glean-tan-ar, meaning "the glen of scanty arable land." The date of union is uncertain; but previously to 1763, there was a church in each parish, the two being served by one parochial minister. Glentanner, before the union, formed a separate chapelry, and Aboyne was then united to Tullich, an intermediate chapel being situated at Braeroddach, equidistant from the churches of Aboyne and Tullich. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Huntly. The minister's stipend is £158. 6. 8., part of which is received from the exchequer; with a manse, and a glebe of twenty acres of very poor land, assigned in lieu of the old glebes of the two parishes, when a central church was built for the united parish, in 1763: the present handsome edifice, containing 628 sittings, was erected in 1842, at an expense, exclusive of carriage, of £900. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
A book of monumental inscriptions for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.
Presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aboyne and Glentanner to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aboyne and Glentanner has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO522946 (Lat/Lon: 57.039801, -2.788851), Aboyne and Glentanner which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.