"ALFORD, a parish, in the district of Alford, county of Aberdeen, 26 miles (W. N. W.) from Aberdeen; containing 1037 inhabitants. This place, the name of which is of uncertain derivation, is situated in the southwestern portion of a district nearly in the centre of the county, called the How of Alford, a valley comprising also the parishes of Keig, Tough, and Tullynessle and Forbes, and entirely surrounded with mountains and hills. The only event of historical importance is the battle of Alford, which took place here on the 2nd of July, 1645 . . The parish is about seven miles in extreme length, and nearly three miles in breadth, comprising an area of 8715 acres, of which 4767 are arable, 1169 woodland and plantations, about 200 rich meadow, and the remainder mountain pasture, moss, and waste. . . Haughton, the seat of the principal landed proprietor, is an elegant mansion of dressed granite, beautifully situated on the bank of the Don, in a wide demesne tastefully laid out, and embellished with thriving plantations. Breda, another seat, and Kingsford, recently built, are also handsome houses. The village consists for the most part of houses of neat appearance, to each of which is attached a portion of land, and extends for about three-quarters of a mile along the road to Aberdeen. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £206. 17. 4., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £6. 13. 4. per annum; patron, the Crown. Alford church, erected in 1804, and enlarged in 1826, is a neat structure containing 550 sittings. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
A book of monumental inscriptions for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.
|St Andrew, Alford, Scottish Episcopal|
|Howe Trinity (formerly East Church), Alford, Church of Scotland|
|at St Andrew (Sc Ep), Alford, Roman Catholic|
Presbytery of Alford - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Alford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ562149 (Lat/Lon: 57.222581, -2.727539), Alford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.