A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875
The name of this parish is taken from the Gaelic word, Cluain, or Cluaine, which signifies "good sheltered pasture," or, "the place of good pasture," and is descriptive enough of the low lying position of a great portion of the cultivated land in the parish.
It is bounded on the north by the parish of Monymusk; on the east by the parishes of Kemnay and Skene; on the south by the parishes of Echt and Midmar; and on the west by the parish of Tough.
The boundaries, or outlines of the parish, are very irregular, especially on the south and east. Its extreme length, in a direct line, measured from east to west, is about 8½ miles; and its extreme breadth, from south to north, also in a direct line, is about 2½ miles. The whole area is computed to be 9,752 acres.
The surface of the lower lying parts of the parish is much diversified, and rather undulatory. The western boundary is formed by the range of the Corrennie hills, which run from the slack of Tillyfourie, on the north, or Monymusk boundary (which is 642 feet above sea level), towards Benaquhalie, in Kincardine O'Neil, and the highest point on the ridge is l605 feet above sea level, and the highest land in the district. The lowest point, on the north division of the parish, being upon the burn of Ton, and 260 feet above sea level. The Bridge of Bilbo, also on the Ton, and on the road between Cluny and Monymusk, is 264 feet; Cluny Castle is 275 feet; the old castle of Tillycairn, or Tilliecairn, is 525 feet; the church of Cluny is about 350 feet; the parish school is 300 feet; and the Free Church at Sauchen, is 332 feet. The mansion of Castle Fraser is 400 feet, and the lowest point on the south-east division of the parish, on the burn of Corskie, bordering with Skene and Echt, is 285 feet above sea level.
[A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875]