"DAVIOT, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (N. W.) from Old Meldrum; containing 643 inhabitants. This parish is supposed to derive its name from the Gaelic term dabhoch, which signifies a piece of land sufficient for the pasture of a certain number of cows. Its length is about three miles, and the average breadth two; but it was augmented ecclesiastically by act of assembly at the close of the 17th century, by the annexation of parts of the parishes of Fyvie and Chapel of Garioch, and, including this addition, it covers about eight square miles. The civil parish comprises 5250 acres, of which the whole is in tillage, with the exception of a few acres in wood, and a little moss. . . The several sorts of grain, with the exception of wheat, is raised, of good quality, but the soil is best adapted to oats, and several kinds are largely cultivated, especially those denominated Scotch barley and the early Angus. Green crops of all descriptions grow luxuriantly. Very few sheep are reared, but much attention is paid to cattle, in consequence of the facilities afforded by steam navigation for sending them to the London market; the breed was formerly the Aberdeenshire, but a great improvement has been made of late years, by crossing these with the short-horned. . .The annual value of real property in the parish of Daviot is £3250. ... The inhabitants are engaged in husbandry, with the exception of a very small number who work at a manufactory for carding and spinning wool ... There is considerable facility of communication: a road runs past the church from north to south, and in the latter direction forms two branches, the one leading to Old Meldrum, and the other to Inverury five miles distant. A turnpike-road, also, traversing the east and north sides of the parish, was formed in 1835, to connect the east and west branches of the great north road from Aberdeen to Inverness, and runs from Old Meldrum to Sheelagreen, in the parish of Culsamond. Another road was finished in 1839, on which a daily coach travels between Aberdeen and Huntly. Eclesaiastically, the parish is in the presbytery of Garioch and synod of Aberdeen, in the patronage of the Crown. The minister's stipend is £159, of which about a sixth is received from the exchequer, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £12 per annum. ... the present church was built in 1798, and accommodates 400 persons. The parochial school affords instruction in the classics, mathematics, and book-keeping, in addition to the elementary branches; the master has a salary of £30, with a house, and £20 fees; he also shares in the Dick bequest. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
A book of monumental inscriptions for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.
Presbytery of Garioch - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Daviot to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Daviot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ757289 (Lat/Lon: 57.350206, -2.405824), Daviot which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.