"KINTORE, a parish and burgh (royal), in the district of Garioch, and county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Inverury, and 12 (N. W. by W.) from Aberdeen; containing, with the village of Port-Elphinstone, 1299 inhabitants. The name of Kintore signifies in Gaelic "the head of the forest". The place was formerly remarkable for its castle, said to have been built by Robert Bruce for a hunting-seat, and which was the occasional residence of several of the Scottish kings. . . The town of Kintore, situated on the bank of the river Don, was once of some consequence, being the place of meeting of the great northern road by Aberdeen, and the roads leading to some of the principal passes of the Grampian mountains. It is, however, at present of small dimensions, and the houses and buildings are not of sufficient importance to merit particular notice; the village of Port-Elphinstone having become the main point of interest and traffic, chiefly on account of its situation at the head of the Aberdeenshire canal. . . The PARISH, including the lands of Creechy and Thainston, which were detached from the parish of Kinkell, and annexed to it in 1760, is about six miles and a half in length from the southern to the northern extremity, and at its greatest breadth measures a little more than three miles. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Garioch, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Kintore: the minister's stipend is £184, with a manse, and a glebe of eight acres, valued at £23 per annum. Kintore church, situated in the town, was built in 1819, and contains accommodation for 700 persons. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. The parochial school affords instruction in Latin, Greek, geography, and the usual branches of education. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Presbytery of Aberdeen - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kintore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kintore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ780160 (Lat/Lon: 57.234536, -2.366059), Kintore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.