A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875
All that part of Aberdeenshire which lies between the Dee and the Don is called Mar, and this parish, from its central position, is called Midmar; Mar and Cromar lying to the west of it, and Lower Mar to the east.
It is bounded on the north by Cluny; on the east by Echt; on the south by the hill of Fare, and Banchory-Ternan in Kincardineshire; and on the west by Kincardine O'Neil, and the south-western parts of Cluny.
In a direct line, from the howe of Corrichie on the south-east, to the muir of Dalherrick, and the Douglas burn on the. north-west, the distance is 6¼ miles; and from Kinnernie, on the north-east, to Tillenturk, on the south-west, the distance, also in a direct line, is nearly 6 miles. The whole area of the parish is computed to be 10,872 acres, 674 decs.
The hill of Fare forms the southern boundary of the parish, and is the only hill which deserves the name. It extends from east to west, and the highest part of it, Blackyards, is 1,421 feet, Craigshannoch and Craigour, is 1,330 feet above sea level. The lowest point on the Gormack burn, which flows by the south side of Midmar Castle, is 303 feet. The hill of Torminade, which lies to the west of the castle, is 802 feet; the road crossing the turnpike road, from the manse to the church, is 559 feet; and the summit level of said road, near Roadside, is 606 feet. The plantation north of the church, and Upper Balblair, is 773 feet; and the lowest point in the parish, on the burn of Kinnernie, is about 330 feet. The Gordon Arms, Leggardale, is 342 feet, and the bridge on the Alford road, over the burn of Sauchen, near the Free Church of Cluny, is 333 feet above sea level.
[A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875]