A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875
The origin of the name of this parish is unknown. In some old papers it is written Oyen, but now, generally, Oyne, and is commonly pronounced Een, and sometimes Oyn.
It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Insch, Culsalmond and Rayne; on the east by Chapel of Garioch; on the south by the river Don and the parish of Monymusk; and on the west by the parishes of Keig and Premnay.
The greatest length of the parish from south to north, is from the lowest point on the Don at Tillyfour, to the influx of the Shevach Water with the Ury at Pitmachie, which is 6¾ miles in a direct line; and the greatest breadth, also in a direct line, is from the influx of Gaudy with the Ury at Mill of Carden, to the Shevach at Rothnie, near Insch, and it is 3¾ miles. The whole area is computed to be 10,151 acres.
The most mountainous part of the parish is the south, and it is chiefly occupied by the mountain of Benachie; the hill of Ardoyne is the highest ground in the northern division. The Mither Tap of Benachie is 1,698 feet above sea level; the Millstone Hill, a south-eastern spur of that mountain, is 1,354 feet; and the highest peak of Benachie, the Oxen Craigs, is 1,732 feet. The lowermost point in the parish on the river Don, opposite Paradise of Monymusk, is about 310 feet, and 23 miles, four furlongs from the sea, by the course of the river. The bridge at Mill of Carden, on the Gardens-mill road, is 283 feet; and the inn of Pitmachie is 313 feet. The church of Oyne is 415 feet, six inches; the Oyne Station road level crossing is 365 feet,; and the old tollbar of Daies is 405 feet above sea level. The names of places are partly Scotch and partly Gaelic, some expressive of the local situation, as being on an eminence, or in a hollow, and a few indicating the name of the ancient possessor of the lands. Ben-a-chie, or Beinn-a-ché, meaning "the mountain of Ché," a pagan deity held in great veneration--the god of the soil or earth. Pitmachie, "the hollow of the Ché." Tillyfour, "the cold knoll." Pitmedden (Pit-mheadon), "the middle hollow." Ard-oyne, "the heights of Oyne." Carden (Cathair-diona), means "the fort of defence, or place of shelter;" and Tillybrake (Tulach-breae), means "the spotted knoll."
[A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875]