"PETERHEAD, a parish and sea-port and burgh of barony, in the district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen; containing, with the villages of Boddam, Buchanhaven, and Burnhaven, and the former quoad sacra district of East Peterhead, 7619 inhabitants, of whom 4586 are in the burgh, 32 miles (N. N. E.) from Aberdeen, and 145 (N. E. by N.) from Edinburgh. . . The town is situated on a peninsula projecting into the German Ocean, and connected with the main land by an isthmus not more than 800 yards in breadth. It has several well-formed streets, called Kirk-street, Marischal, St. Andrew's, Broad, and Longate streets, with some smaller streets diverging in various directions. In general the houses are well built, chiefly of granite; and many of them are of handsome appearance. The town is paved, and lighted with gas. . . At this place the beach affords excellent accommodation for bathing; and during the summer months the town is much frequented by visiters. . . Facility of communication is afforded by turnpike-roads to Fraserburgh, Banff, and Aberdeen, and by steamers, which touch at the port. . . The PARISH is bounded on the east by the sea, and on the north by the river Ugie. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes this place is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £235. 9. 2., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £50 per annum; patron, the Crown. The parish church, erected in 1803, is a handsome structure of granite, with a spire 115 feet high, and contains 1863 sittings. . . There is an episcopal chapel, a fine structure, erected in 1814 at a cost of £3500; and members of the Free Church, the United Presbyterian Church Independents, and Wesleyans, have places of worship. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
|Peterhead Congregational Church, Peterhead, Congregational|
|St Peter, Peterhead, Scottish Episcopal|
|St Andrews Peterhead, Peterhead, Church of Scotland|
|St Mary, Peterhead, Roman Catholic|
Presbytery of Deer - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Peterhead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Peterhead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NK108451 (Lat/Lon: 57.496106, -1.821481), Peterhead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.