"PITSLIGO, a parish, in the district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (W.) from Fraserburgh; containing, with the burgh-of-barony of Rosehearty and the village of Pittullie, 1582 inhabitants, of whom 832 are in the rural district. This place gave its name as the title of the Forbes family, to whom it anciently belonged, and of whose castle there are still some considerable remains. . . The parish was separated by act of parliament, in 1633, from the parish of Aberdour. It is bounded on the north by the Moray Firth. . . There are fishing-stations at Rosehearty and Pittullie; the fish taken are cod, ling, haddocks, and skate, with several smaller kinds. Facility of communication is afforded by the old roads from Fraserburgh to Banff, and from Rosehearty to Strichen, which intersect each other in the centre of the parish; and by a turnpike-road from Fraserburgh to Banff. . . For ecclesiastical purposes the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is about £190, with a manse, glebe, and garden, worth £30 per annum; patron, the Crown. Pitsligo church, erected in 1634, and distinctly seen from the coast, is a handsome structure with a square tower and angular turrets; it is embellished with richly-carved oak in that part forming the aisle, and contains 504 sittings. The minister officiates also on Sunday evenings, at Rosehearty, to a congregation of about 300 persons. A Free church was built in 1844, and there is a place of worship for members of the United Presbyterian Church. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Presbytery of Deer - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pitsligo to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pitsligo has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ947650 (Lat/Lon: 57.674902, -2.090313), Pitsligo which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.