A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875
The origin of the name Rhynie cannot be ascertained. Essie is derived from Eas and Easa, which means "a waterfall." The church of Essie was discontinued as a place of worship about 1760, when it became ruinous, and since that time the parish has gone under the name of Rhynie and Essie, and it forms the south-west extremity of the lordship and valley of Strathbogie.
The parish is bounded on the north by the parish of Gartly, on the east by the parish of Kennethmont and a small portion of Clatt; on the south by Auchindoir and Kearn; and on the west by the Cabrach.
The greatest length of the parish, in a direct line, from east to west, is 7½ miles from the Cults boundary with Kennethmont to the Cabrach boundary; and its greatest breadth, in a direct line along the water of Bogie, is nearly five miles. The whole area is computed to be 12,883.631 acres.
The western division of the parish is hilly, approaching to mountainous, the chief mountain being the Tap o'Noth, 1,852 feet above sea level, and 1,252 feet aLove the level of the square of Rhynie, which is 600 feet; the lowermost point in the parish on the Bogie Water being 524 feet above sea level. The village of Rhynie stands upon a plain in the southernmost division of the parish, and is closely hemmed in by the parish of Auchindoir on the east, south, and west sides, with the sandstone quarries on a small eminence on the southern boundary.
[A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875]