Strathdon / Invernochty
"STRATHDON, or Invernochty, a parish, in the district of Alford, county of Aberdeen, 19 miles (W. by S.) from Alford; containing 1563 inhabitants. This parish, originally called Invernochty, derived that name from the position of its church near the influx of the river Nochty into the Don; and its present appellation, from its extensive and beautiful strath, or valley, through which the river Don takes a winding course, dividing the parish into two nearly equal parts. . . The parish, which constitutes the western extremity of the county, is about twenty-three miles in length, and varies from three to eight miles in breadth. . . Its surface is strikingly diversified, presenting in fine contrast a considerable extent of level and fertile vale, and large tracts of mountainous elevation, combining all the varieties of wild and rugged Highland scenery. . . On the arable lands the soil, is mostly a deep loam, in some places alternated with gravel: the lower acclivities of the hills are especially fertile. There are large peat-mosses on the summits of the hills. . . The corn crops are oats, a small quantity of barley, and considerable quantities of bear; turnips are cultivated to a great extent, and potatoes are also grown. . . The agricultural produce beyond what is requisite for the supply of the inhabitants, and also the fat-cattle, are sent to Aberdeen. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes this place is within the bounds of the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend, including a commutation of £17. 12. for peats, is about £210; with an excellent manse, and a glebe valued at £2. 12. 6. per annum: patron, the Crown. The church was rebuilt in 1757, and reseated and repaired in 1808; it is a substantial structure containing 504 sittings. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
Presbytery of Alford - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Strathdon / Invernochty to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Strathdon / Invernochty has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ301119 (Lat/Lon: 57.192508, -3.158084), Strathdon / Invernochty which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.