"TYRIE, a parish, in the district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) distant from Fraserburgh; containing, with the village and former quoad sacra parish of New Pitsligo, 2639 inhabitants. This place, the name of which, in the Gaelic language, signifies "the king's house", is of remote antiquity; but very few particulars of its history have been recorded. . . The PARISH lies in the north-eastern portion of the county, and is about ten miles in length and four and a half in breadth; it is of oblong shape, and the surface is diversified with hills, some of which attain a considerable degree of elevation. . . Among the crops are oats, for which the soil appears to be peculiarly adapted, and which are almost the only grain. Large quantities of potatoes are shipped hence at Rosehearty, Sandhaven, and Fraserburgh; and since the establishment of a horticultural society at New Pitsligo by Sir John Stuart Forbes, vegetables of every kind, and garden produce, have been grown in perfection. . . On the hills is good pasturage for sheep and black-cattle, of which considerable numbers are sent to markets in the vicinity and to London. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes this parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer, and synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is £158. 7. 7., of which nearly one-fourth is paid from the exchequer; with a manse, and a glebe valued at £9. 10. per annum: patron, Lord Saltoun. The ancient church has been some years in ruins, a new church having been erected in 1800, a neat substantial structure containing 400 sittings. A church, to which a district was for a time annexed, and an episcopal chapel, have been erected in New Pitsligo. . .More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]
A book of monumental inscriptions for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.
Presbytery of Deer - Synod of Aberdeen
Here are details of the Birth, Marriage and Death records for this parish, available on the OPR films.
Here is a detailed description of the parish, written in 1875.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tyrie to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tyrie has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ912585 (Lat/Lon: 57.616418, -2.1492), Tyrie which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here is a list of place names in the parish.
A booklet containing extracts from the 1696 Poll Book for this parish is available from the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS.