A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875

The etymology of Udny is unknown. The name has been spelled Widney and Uldney, and it derives its name from the barony and family of Udny of Udny, who have possessed the estate for several generations. It was erected into a parish by act of Parliament, passed on the 19th of December, 1597, entitled 'Ratification of ane act anent Christis Kirk of Udny,' being separated from the parishes of Ellon, Tarves, Logie-Buchan, and Foveran."

The parish is bounded on the north by Tarves and Ellon; on the east bv Logie-Buchan, Foveran, and Belhelvie; on the south by New Machar, Fintray and Keith-hall; and on the west by Bourtie and part of Tarves.

The greatest length of the parish in a direct line from Torryleith to Mill of Drumbreck, is very nearly eight miles; and the greatest breadth, also in a direct line east, to west, from Rosebank to the parish boundary at Thornton of Bourtie, is a little over six miles. The whole area is computed, by the Ordnance Survey, to be 11,554.877 acres.

The south-western portion of the parish is hilly, and the north-eastern is pretty flat, with small rounded hills of no great height, rising in gentle slopes from the streams. The lowest point in the parish, being at Mill of Drumbreck, on the burn of Reidford, is about 83 feet above sea level. The site of the old castle of Drumbreck, and the remains of the Eirde houses there, are about 240 feet; and the church of Udny is 283 feet. The boundary of the parish with New Machar, on the Aberdeen and Old Meldrum road at South Afleck, is 487 feet; and the highest land is on the Change-hill, 620 feet, which forms the boundary of the parish with the Banffshire part of New Machar on the south.

[A New History of Aberdeenshire, Alexander Smith (Ed), 1875]