ABERDEENSHIRE - Military History
Contents of this page:
- AD 84 - The Roman Governor Agricola defeated the Celtic Taexali tribe.
- 15 August 1057 - Malcolm III (Canmore) defeated (and slew) the reigning King, Macbeth.
- December 1307 - King Robert the Bruce defeated a joint English Scottish force led by John Comyn, Earl of Buchan.
- 23 May 1308 - King Robert the Bruce defeated a joint English Scottish force led by John Comyn, Earl of Buchan.
- 30 November 1335 - King David II defeated David of Strathbogie and the followers of the Earl of Athol.
- 24 July 1411 - Highlanders led by Donald of the Isles fought against Lowlanders led by Alexander of Mar. A bloody, but indecisive battle with both sides retiring the field at the end of the day.
- 10 October 1571 - The Gordons, led by Adam Gordon defated the Forbes', who were led by 'Black Arthur'.
- 20 November 1571 - The Gordons, led by Adam Gordon defated the Forbes'.
- 13 May 1639 - Royalist troops representing King Charles, led by Gordon, marquis of Huntly routed the covenanters who were garrisoned at Turriff.
- 18 June 1639 - Royalists, led by James Gordon, Viscount Aboyne, successfully defended Aberdeen against an army of covenanters led by Graham, earl of Montrose.
- 13 September 1644 - Graham, earl of Montrose, now leading Royalist troops, successfully captured Aberdeen city from the covenanters.
- 28 October 1644 - Graham, earl of Montrose, leading Royalist troops, engaged covenanter troops led by Archibald Campbell, marquis of Argyll. The result was a stalemate.
- 2 July 1645 - The Royalists, under the earl of Montrose, decisively defeated the covenanters.
- 23 December 1745 - A Jacobite force, led by Lord Lewis Gordon, defeated a government force led by Lord Louden and Duncan Forbes of Culloden.
The Gordon Highlanders Museum
Viewfield Road (Off Queen's Road)
Aberdeen AB15 7XH
Tel: +44 (0)1224 311200
Fax: +44 (0)1224 319323
|1st April - 31st October|
|Tues - Sat: 10.30am - 4.30pm|
|Sunday: 1.30pm - 4.30pm|
|1st November - 31st March|
|Open by appointment only|