BARRY, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BARRY, (or Barrie), a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It is situated on the coast, at the entrance to the Frith of Tay, and contains the villages of Barrie and Carnoustie. The district is sandy, and contains many tumuli. Many of the people are occupied in the manufacture of brown and white linens. The village of Barrie stands half-way between Dundee and Arbroath. On Buddon Ness, at the south extremity of the parish, are two lighthouses. The living, value £144, is in the presbytery of Arbroath, in the synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the gift of the crown. There is a Free church at Barrie, and a chapel of ease; two Free churches, and a United Presbyterian church at Carnoustie. The parish has an area of about 10 square miles."
"CARNOUSTIE, a village in the parish of Barry, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles to the S.W. of Arbroath. It is a station on the Dundee and Arbroath railway. The inhabitants are chiefly supported by weaving linen cloth. Besides a chapel of ease, there are churches belonging to the United Presbyterians and the Original Seceders."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]