"The parish is about 18 miles long by 6 miles wide and contains about 40,000 acres. It is bounded on the north by Crathie and Clova, on the east by Kirriemuir, Lintrathen and Airlie, on the south by Alyth, and on the south and west by Alyth and Kirkmichael. The parish occupies the glen of the river Isla, terminated at its north end by the mountains separating Forfarshire from Aberdeenshire. In their general character, the people are sober, obliging and industrious; much attached to their native glen, and to one another; attentive and hospitable to strangers, and charitable to the wandering poor. There are about 3960 cultivated acres and 30000 uncultivated. The cattle are of the Angus and Highland breeds. The sheep are blackfaced, bought for the most part when young, from the Linton and Lanark markets. The nearest post office is at Meigle, but there is a sub-office at Alyth, the nearest market town. There are 3 schools in the parish, and a library in connection with the Sabbath schools. There are 2 fairs in the parish, and 4 inns. The fuel consists chiefly of peats."
Edited from The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Angus, 1842.
Click on the map to access more maps of Glenisla.
- The transcription of the section for Glenisla from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glenisla to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Glenisla has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO220655 (Lat/Lon: 56.774358, -3.278256), Glenisla which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)