"Lochgilphead, police burgh, Glassary par., and quoad sacra par., partly also in South Knapdale par., Argyllshire - par., pop. 2381; burgh, at head of Loch Gilp, and near Crinan Canal, 2 miles N. of Ardrishaig, pop. 1489; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the weaving of woollen cloth is carried on, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing; Lochgilphead has steamboat communication with Glasgow, Inverness, Skye, Oban, &c."
Extract from Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lochgilphead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lochgilphead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NR866881 (Lat/Lon: 56.03851, -5.427106), Lochgilphead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)