National Gazetteer, 1868
Dundonald - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DUNDONALD, a parish in the district of Kyle, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It is a station on the Ayr fork of the Glasgow and South-Western, and on the Troon and Kilmarnock railways. It comprises the villages of Dundonald, Troon, Old Slome, Thewalton, and Loans. A range of hills called Claven hills separate it into two equal parts. The soil is excellent and in a fine state of cultivation. Coal abounds here, and is greatly exported. Agriculture, mining, handloom weaving, ship-building, and commerce are also carried on. The living is in the presbytery of Ayr. The minister's stipend is £257. Besides the parish church there are two chapels-of-ease, respectively at Troon and Fullarton; three Free churches, at Dundonald, Troon, and Fullarton; and an United Presbyterian church at Troon. There are Assembly's schools and a charity school at Fullarton, a female industrial school at Dundonald, two female schools at Troon, two Free Church schools, and four subscription schools. The chief object of attraction, however, is Dundonald Castle, now a magnificent ruin, and formerly the seat of the princes of the house of Stuart. The castle gives the name to the earldom in the family of Cochrane. Not far from this royal residence are the remains of an ancient ecclesiastical foundation, called "Our Lady Kirk of Kyle." Here stands the house of Auchans, anciently the residence of the Wallaces of Dundonald. The principal landowners are the Duke of Portland, Sir Charles Fairlic, Boyle, of Shewalton, &c."
"CROSBIE, (or Crosby), a chapelry in the parish of Dundonald, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. There was anciently a parish of the same name in the county of Ayr, now united to Monkton."
"FULLARTON, a quoad sacra parish and burgh of barony, in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, within the borough of Irvine, with which it is joined by a well-built bridge over the Irvine water. It contains a Free church and chapel-of-ease. Fullarton House is the seat of the Duke of Portland."
"LOARY, a village in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Ayr."
"NEWFIELD, a demesne in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Kilmarnock."
"OLDROME, a village in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, 8 miles N. of Ayr. It was formerly designated Rumford."
"SHEWALTON, a village in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Kilmarnock. It is situated near Shewalton Moss. The principal attraction is Shewalton house, a modern mansion. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries."
"TROON, a post town and thriving seaport in the parish of Dundonald, county Ayr, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Ayr, and 9 S.W. of Kilmarnock. It is a station on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock railways, and is situated on the promontory of Troon, near Lady Island Rock. It is a bathing-place, and a subport to Irvine, and is the sole property of the Duke of Portland, to whose patronage the town owes its present prosperity. The promontory consists of a belt of rock extending 1¼ mile into the sea, with a mean breadth of about 2 furlongs, resembling a large segment of a circle. Although a subport to Irvine, it carries on the principal trade of that port, and bids fair to become one of the most important seaports on the W. coast of Scotland, having an extensive bay and a secure harbour. It has two superior dry docks for repairing vessels, large storehouses, a lighthouse, and ship-building yards, also a rope and sail manufactory. The pier is 800 feet in length, and the lights which were put up in the years 1827 and 1848 are visible at a distance of 9 and 6 miles. From the extremity of the harbour directly to Kilmarnock runs the railway, on which coal is conveyed for shipment to Ireland. In the town are a branch office of the Union Bank, a savings-bank, 4 insurance agencies, several hotels and lodging-houses for the accommodation of visitors in the bathing season, and a gas company. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the coasting trade and in the fisheries. Salmon and rabbits are in abundance. Troon is in the presbytery of Ayr, and in the patronage of the communicants. There are: a chapel-of-ease, a Free church, United Presbyterian church, and a Free church school, subscription school, and other schools."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003